Save on Last Minute Travel This Holiday Season
In a couple of weeks it will be the busiest time to travel. Don’t have your plans yet? No problem! Whether you travel by plane or car, it’s not too late to save some money with your last minute travels. Here are some tips to help you make the most of your time while spending the least.
Savvy Fliers Only
If you’re going to see family this month, minimize the damage to your wallet by adjusting your days to fly.
- Move Your Dates: According to travelchannel.com, you’re going to be flying with the most people on December 23. Make your flight earlier or wait a week and the airports and airplanes will be less crowded.
- Bid for Better Prices: If you haven’t already, start bidding to get a deal on your flights. Be willing to fly less popular hours and you may be able to find a competitive price.
- Reap the Rewards: For those who are have credit cards, now may be a wonderful time to cash in on your rewards.
Make It a Road Trip
If flights are outside your budget now, then it’s time to look at the classic style of a road trip. Depending on how far you drive, you may want to grab a rental car. Excessive wear and tear on your car can be pricey and there are ways you can find deals on rental cars. If you do use your own car, make sure it’s in good shape for the road. Calling roadside service can easily eat up any savings you may have.
- Plan ahead for drinks and snacks: Making constant stops on your road trip slow you down and drain your wallet. Do yourself a big favor and pack snacks and your go to drinks in the car.
- Explore your food options: When you do need to stop for a meal, make it special. Check online to see if there are any hole in the wall spots where you can stretch your legs and have a memorable meal.
- Score a deal on the hotel: If you have a long trip, go ahead and book a room now.
- Be open to carpooling: If you’re seeing your family, you may be able to slash prices by coming into town with a relative. It can be a wonderful way to bond and save money.
Traveling over the holidays can be notoriously busy, expensive and stressful, but it’s not all bad news. While you may have missed the boat on making early travel plans this holiday season, there are still a few ways you can save money and enjoy holiday cheer.
Source: Travelchannel.com, Consumerreports.org